(Leftovers can be frozen, but you're unlikely to have any!)
You know, it’s really hard to take a nice photo of fajitas. They taste bloody lovely though.
Another meal tonight cooked fresh, from frozen ❄️🙌
We didn’t have any salsa in, and only had frozen ingredients, so I went for a cooked alternative with tomato and onions - thankfully it worked pretty well!
We chucked some refried beans in too seeing as they were in my stash 👍
If you have any lettuce, avocado or some sour cream you could include those too.
And if you don't have all the ingredients below, why not get creative and just use up what you do have!
Freezer (you can use fresh if you have them!)
- 2 handfuls frozen diced chicken thighs (breast is fine too)
- 3 handfuls frozen red onion
- 1 handful frozen sliced carrot
- 1-2 tbsp frozen sliced chillis (optional)
- 2 handfuls frozen chopped peppers
- 1/2 tin flat frozen refried beans (you can use fresh - I just always freeze half!)
- 1/2 frozen lime
- 2 handfuls frozen halved cherry tomatoes
- frozen grated cheese
- 4 frozen tortilla wraps
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic if you’ve got some!)
- 1/2 tbsp paprika (preferably smoked)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- a splash of white wine vinegar (or an ice cube!)
1. Thaw the diced chicken
- either overnight in the fridge
- for an hour or so in a freezer bag in cold water
- or in the microwave using the defrost setting (you must cook immediately though if you microwave your chicken).
2. Get the flat packed refried beans out of the freezer and place in a dish of cold water. Whilst they start to thaw, put the oven on to 75 degrees c, wrap the tortillas in foil and put them in the oven to warm through.
3. Once the beans are soft enough to get out of the bag, fold over the top of the bag to stop the beans getting caught in the seal, then squeeze them out into a pan.
NOTE: You can get more out of the bag by placing it on a flat surface and using a rubber spatula on the outside of the bag to work the contents up to the opening of the bag.
Put to the side.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and one tablespoon in a small saucepan. Once hot, in the frying pan brown the chicken. At the same time, in the saucepan, add a handful of onions to the saucepan, stirring them so that they don’t burn.
5. Once the onions have softened and are starting to brown, add the cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and a splash of white wine vinegar. Cook on a low heat whilst you continue to cook the chicken.
6. Put the refried beans onto a low heat to start to cook through.
7. When the chicken is browned, add the paprika, cumin, coriander and garlic and stir, coating the chicken. Move the chicken to the side of the pan, add a little more oil and then add the remaining two handfuls of onions and the carrot.
8. Allow to brown a little and for the excess water to evaporate, then add the chillis and then the peppers. Continue to cook on a low heat.
9. Increase the heat under the tomatoes to evaporate any excess water.
10. Once the beans are warm, the chicken is cooked through (you can cut up a large chunk to make sure) and the tomatoes have reduced down, serve up all three in your tortillas with a sprinkle of frozen cheese (no need to thaw - it will melt with the heat of the food!). Enjoy!