Serves 2 (generous portions)
(Leftovers can be frozen, but need to be cooled quickly and reheated thoroughly)
Freezer (you can use fresh if you have them!)
250g mince beef (thawed)
1 handful frozen chopped onion
2 handfuls frozen chopped peppers
2 handfuls frozen cherry tomatoes (or a tin of tomatoes)
1 cube (1 tbsp) frozen tomato purée
1 handful frozen black beans
1 handful frozen sweetcorn
1 frozen lime (thawed and juiced)
1.5 tbsp oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp marjoram (or oregano/mixed herbs)
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 tsp lazy garlic, or 1 clove fresh)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put the rice on to cook with the water. As soon as it starts to boil, put a lid over it and turn the heat right down.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil and then fry the beef and drain any fat.
2. Push the beef to the side of the pan and add a little more oil then fry the onion until the water has evaporated and it is starting to caramelise.
3. Add the peppers and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the herbs and spices including the garlic and fry for a minute.
5. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, sweetcorn and black beans and cook until everything has thawed and is piping hot.
6. Once cooked, drain the rice and rinse it, then add to the pan.
7. Squeeze the lime juice over the dish and season to taste.
All in this took about 15 minutes to cook and had minimal washing up! 👏