(Leftovers can be frozen!)
Not an easy one to take a decent photo of (I really need better serving implements), but this was super tasty.
A mix of fresh and frozen ingredients tonight as we had a few bits and pieces that needed using up 😊
Freezer (you can use fresh if you have them!)
- 50g frozen butter cubes
- 1 frozen fillet salmon
- 1 frozen fillet cod
- 1 frozen fillet smoked haddock
- 1 handful frozen spring onions
- 1 handful frozen sweetcorn
- 1 handful frozen peas
- 1 handful sliced frozen carrots
- 2-3 handfuls frozen grated cheddar cheese
- 1 handful frozen purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 handful frozen carrot batons
- 1 handful frozen parsnip batons
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml whole milk
- 1 tsp parsley (fresh or dried)
- 75g garlic and herb Boursin
- 600g small-ish potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees c.
2. Poach the frozen fish fillets in the milk until they start to flake, then remove from the milk and set aside.
3. Put a pan of water on to boil, then slice the potatoes thinly (I used a food processor with slicing attachment). Try to make them all about the same thickness as this will help them cook evenly. If you prefer, you could peel and mash them.
4. Put the potatoes into the boiling water and allow to boil for a few minutes to soften them slightly but not so much that they fall apart. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
5. Make the sauce by melting the butter, adding the flour and stirring with a whisk, then gradually add the milk. Keep on stirring continuously until all of the milk is added and the sauce is thick and silky.
6. Add the Boursin and stir until fully combined. Then add the frozen spring onions, corn, peas and carrots. Continue to stir on a low heat for a few minutes until everything is cooked through.
7. Put the tablespoon of oil onto a baking tray and place in the oven to heat up.
8. Stir in the flaked fish and place in an ovenproof dish, the top with the potato slices, layering them. Top with the frozen grated cheese.
9. Toss the frozen broccoli, carrots and parsnips in the honey, then place the carrots and parsnips onto the hot oil tray (carefully) - set the broccoli aside for now - and return to the oven.
10. Cook for the carrots and parsnips for 5 minutes before placing the fish pie into the oven.
11. Cook for another 10 minutes, then add the broccoli and cook everything for another 10/15 minutes until the pie is golden and the veggies are starting to crisp up. Allow the pie to sit for a few minutes before serving. Serve and enjoy!